Thibaut Courtois expresses commitment to Chelsea but is yet to sign contract extension

Thibaut Courtois

Thibaut Courtois insisted he is “committed” to Chelsea and hinted at a new deal this summer, according to the Evening Standard.

Chelsea are yet to agree to an extension with the Belgian as the player’s future has been cast in doubt for months with his current deal expires in 2019.

The Evening Standard reports Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are targeting the 25-year-old and are both considering making a bid in the summer.

But Courtois told the Evening Standard: “I’m committed to Chelsea. I have a contract until next year and I will be here. I will do my best for it.

“Obviously there is no extension signed but I don’t think now is the moment to do it. I think it is better to wait until the end of the season. All I can say is I’m committed to Chelsea and also committed for next year.”

When pressed on the topic whether he is guaranteed to remain at Stamford Bridge next season, the Belgian added: “I have no other thing to say. It’s easy when you have only one year remaining that other people might say something.

“I’m a bit annoyed by it because it’s a talking point and it’s a thing people went to dwell on.

“But I think the focus now should be on winning our League games to get a top-four finish and back in the Champions League for next season as well as going through in the FA Cup.

“That’s the most important thing and is what we have to do as a group and for myself as well.”

Courtois received a lot of brickbats for his performance during Wednesday’s 3-0 Champions League defeat at Barcelona.

Chelsea take on Leicester City in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup on Sunday and Courtois is determined to help his side win at the King Power Stadium tomorrow.

“We have to take the effort and commitment we showed against Barcelona into the match on Sunday. If we have that same level of commitment, we will win,” he said.

“I know Leicester are a difficult team to face, especially away from home. We will do our best to win.

“The FA Cup is a great competition. We lost in the final last year and we are hungry to go to Wembley again and do something amazing.”

A top-four finish in the Premier League remains a priority for the club but Conte should go all guns blazing to win the FA Cup as that competition remains our only hope of salvaging this campaign.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login